The ways we give back
We want to say a big huge thank you to all the students who support our classes, and our karma classes - you are also contributing and genuinely making a heartfelt difference. Giving back is a big part of Surya Daya Yoga & Wellness’s core mission and we are so grateful to be able to support one another in this way.
Since July 15th, 2017, Mary Biggs, one of our truly phenomenal teachers and previous co-owner has donated her teaching income to our karma seva fund as a mark to celebrate over 12 years of teaching. We feel very blessed by Mary’s teaching, her wisdom, and to be held in her classes with her big heart. As of January, 2020, our Friday morning kundalini bliss class teachers have also decided to donate their teaching income from our Kundalini Bliss class to our community seva fund, helping to hold our small and large community in our hearts. We are supported to continue to do this work by so many amazing humans, including each of you. During certain times of the year, many of our teachers also donate a percentage of their classes, as well 100% of the money raised from our monthly karma classes goes directly to a local cause, family or into this fund as we asses needs. We couldn’t do this without YOU
With our Seva Fund, we have helped local organizations, charities, we help with special requests and families in need in our community. This gesture is a way for us to give back to the community, through our teaching and sharing of these incredible tools and practices and also through these special classes.
With gratitude and so much love, your Yoga Family
Thanks to each of you, due to your generosity, we have also supported our community in incredible ways.
Since the spring of 2018 – December 2019, when we transitioned into Surya Daya, through the support of our community and the service of our teachers we have managed to help support:
- $994 Lanark County Interval House a safe shelter for women and children
- $225 Almonte General Hospital
- $700 Hunger Stop Lanark County Food Bank
- food baskets to the food bank
- bags of toiletries and other needs for Interval House
- $174 Tour For Kids – for kids with cancer to go to summer camp
- $1500 Tornado Relief Fund for local families
- $3569 support for local families in need
- $250 Food For Thought breakfast programs in local schools
- $575 Movember – raising awareness and funding for men’s mental and physical health
- $400 Lions Club food baskets
- $310 Hub Hospice Palliative Care
- $240 CHEO run for kids
- $200 Lighting the way local environmental initiative
- We have also donated gift certificates to various local fundraising events i.e. SchoolBOX for their annual Latin fiesta fundraiser
We will continue to offer our monthly karma classes in our effort to increase awareness and education of important issues. One of our guiding principles is to come together in community to help support eachother, local families and organizations. We also have a basket outside our studio always ready to accept non – perishable food item donations for the local food bank.
We are all connected and it is through our kindness that we nurture those connections. If you would like more information, or would like to hold an event (or have us hold a class for on your behalf) in support of a cause you are passionate about, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Yours in service,
Surya Daya Yoga & Wellness