Kundalini Yoga With Mary – March Practice
As we move through March, a month associated with courage, it’s a great time to wipe the slate clean, undo some habits and start anew!
We grow and transform as we let go and surrender to the seasonal shift to spring.
Here are 4 suggestions to get started.
- Move your body! Shake, dance, move the energy up the spine and create healthy circulation. We can get stuck when we are cooped up inside.
- Clear out the lungs with Breath of Fire or Long Deep breathing- helps to strengthen the lungs and clear the head. Forward bends can help strengthen the diaphragm and rid the body of congestion.
- Eat lighter foods- perhaps incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables and become more aware of what you are consuming.
- Exfoliate and moisturize. Before showering, exfoliate with a dry brush and then massage the body with almond or coconut oil. Feels great!
Pranayam: For Peace of Mind
Sit in easy pose, eyes gently closed.
Close off right nostril with right index finger or thumb. Take smooth equal breaths through the left nostril. Switch sides.
To end: Inhale deeply through both nostrils, hold and exhale.
Postures: (2 minutes per)
The following postures will focus on boosting the energy of the spine from the base to the top. This will help circulate the spinal fluid and energize each of the chakras, your energy centres. Keep your breath deep and powerful throughout.
- Spinal Flex- in easy pose, grab the ankles with both hands, inhale and flex the spine forward. Exhale and flex the spine backwards. Chin remains level.
- Spinal Twist- hands on shoulders, fingers in front, thumbs in back. Inhale and twist to the left, exhale and twist right.
- Bear Grip- Interlace the fingers in bear grip at the heart centre. Move the elbows in a see-saw motion using a powerful breath.
- Shoulder Shrugs- Inhale and lift both shoulders up, exhale down.
- Neck Rolls- circle the head slowly in one direction breathing long and deep. Change directions.
- Cat- Cow: come into table top. Inhale and allow the belly to drop as you lift the head. Exhale and push the spine towards the ceiling into cat, head drops. Allow the movement to flow from the base of the spine to the crown with smooth, deep breaths. Sit back on the heels and shake out the wrists.
- Cat-Cow Balance- Back into table top. Inhale and extend one arm out front and opposite leg back. Exhale down. Switch sides and continue alternating. Keep head level, your gaze just in front. To end: push back into child’s pose and rest. Then come to standing.
- Standing Forward Bends: Inhale reaching up and back (if available). Exhale bending gently forward. Keep the legs as straight as possible to stretch the life nerve, knees soft.
- Standing Cross Crawls- Inhale one arm up, opposite knee up, then switch sides. Imagine you are marching. Strong breath. To end, inhale deeply and sweep the arms overhead, stretch the entire body, exhale and release the arms down.
Come onto your back and maintain a relaxed state. Let go fully and allow your body to become very heavy.
To end your practice, recite (or chant) the Longtime Sun, an Irish Blessing –blessing yourself, your loved ones and all beings.
May the longtime sun shine upon you
All love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide your way on.
“Life cannot be written; life can only be lived.” Oscar Wilde
Love to all,
If you have any questions about this yoga set, I can connect you directly with Mary, just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org