Daily Kundalini Yoga- Week of October 19th
Sleep offers us the time to recharge and refresh. Before bed, try taking a few moments to reflect on the good things that happened during your day. Focus your attention on one or two things that made you happy and just breathe in that memory. Allow everything else to just fall away. Let your breath cover you in peace and quiet as you drift off to sleep.
Pranayam: Alternate Nostril Breathing- (great for before bed!)
Sit in easy pose, left hand in guyan mudra resting on left thigh. Use thumb of right hand to block right nostril, and index finger or ring finger of right hand to close left nostril.
Close one nostril and take a full, deep inhale through that nostril. Then close opposite nostril and slowly exhale fully, bringing the navel towards the spine. Continue this pattern.
Note: Inhaling left, exhaling right- to bring calmness and integrate unwanted emotions.
Inhaling right, exhaling left brings clarity and positivity.
To end: Inhale through both nostrils, hold, exhale. Sit very still .
Evening Stretches: ( 1-2 minutes each)
- Lower Spine Rock: Lie on back and draw knees to chest, head stays on ground. Wrap hands around shins. Gently pull knees to the chest and then release. Repeat in a slow rhythm. Consciously relax the back.
- Front Leg Stretch, Left and Right: Legs are stretched out front. Bring sole of right foot against inner left thigh. With both hands stretch forward reaching towards shin or foot. Hold and breathe long and deep. Change legs and repeat.
- Basic Spinal Flex: Place hands on shins. Inhale and tilt pelvis forward, exhale and lower chest and gently tilt the pelvis back. Keep chin level to the ground.
- Spinal Twist: Cross hands over the heart. Inhale and twist left, exhale and turn right.
- Spinal Side Bends: Keep hands crossed over the heart. Inhale centre, exhale bend left, inhale centre, exhale bend right. Open the rib cage.
- Cat Cow- come into table top. Inhale and allow the belly to drop, head comes up, Exhale and push spine towards the sky, head drops. Allow the movement to flow from the base of the spine to the crown of the head with smooth breaths.
- Baby Pose with Arms in Front: Push back into child’s pose and stretch arms out in front of you on the ground. Relax into the position.
- Shoulder Rolls- Sit in easy pose with hands on knees. Roll the shoulders in big circles – make forward circles, then reverse.
- Neck Rolls- make smooth circles in both directions, keeping the breath deep.
- Cooling Sitali Pranayam- in easy pose, hands on knees, curl the tongue (like a taco- or if not possible, allow tongue to lay flat). Inhale slowly and deeply through the curled tongue, exhale slowly and deeply through the nose.
To reflect upon before shavasana- from Moonlight Gratitude-
Night is the time for reflection and rest. The day is done and regardless of whether you completed everything, it is time to calm the mind for sleep. Being by letting go of the to-do lists and schedule of the day to come. When tomorrow begins, let your thoughts return to the day. For now, focus on closing your eyes and letting go of all thoughts and concerns. Breathe into this space to make room for dreams.
Love to all,