Daily Kundalini Yoga- Week of May 25th
Morning is my special time of day. This week’s practice is one I love to do to kick start my day.
Here is a passage from “A Morning Offering” by one of my favorite authors, John O’Donohue.
“I place on the altar of dawn:
The quiet loyalty of breath, the tent of thought where I shelter,
Waves of desire I am shore to and all beauty drawn to the eye.
May my mind come alive today to the invisible geography that invites me to new frontiers…..
May I have the courage today to live the life that I would love,
To postpone my dream no longer, but to do at last what I came here for- and waste my heart on fear no more.”
Warm ups: My “go-to” 4:
Sufi grind (both directions)
Spinal flex to Spinal Twist
Neck rolls (both directions)
Pranayam/Meditation for the Heart– 3 mins.
Get comfortable, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Place your palms crossed over your heart chakra. Breathe long and deep. Focus on a beautiful image that is special for you: a sunset, a rose, a loved one’s face, a happy place. Feel the love building in your heart and throughout your body. Breathe into the loving-kindness in your heart and feel that energy clear away stress.
Chakra Sun Salutations: 8 repetitions (one for each chakra)
Amber did this lovely practice in her class a few weeks ago at her Saturday morning live kundalini class, so many will be familiar with it. (If you prefer, can also be done with standing forward bends in lieu of a full sun salutation.)
The chakras are our energy centres in the body and each chakra is a vision of the world- a collection of our feelings, thoughts and values. Each chakra offers us a gift.
Begin each sun salutation with “I bow to my 1st (2nd, 3rd, etc) chakra”, followed by an affirmation of your own or the one below (these are the ones I personally use, but make sure you use what resonates for you).
- First Chakra- (Root)- May I be rooted, grounded, steadfast and secure.
- Second Chakra- (Sacral Area)- May joy and creativity flow through me today.
- Third Chakra (Abdominal/solar plexus) – May I be the lighthouse, may I be strong, disciplined and may I feel my power.
- Fourth Chakra (Heart)- May love and compassion flow through me today.
- Fifth Chakra (Throat)- May I speak my truth from a place of love and without fear.
- Sixth Chakra (Third Eye)- May I trust my intuition and be guided by it.
- Seventh Chakra (Crown)- May I feel the Creator within me, around me and within all beings. May I connect to my higher energies.
- Eighth Chakra (Aura)- May I be protected from illness and negativity. May I be radiant and project out strongly to the world.
Rest on your back to integrate your work. Just let go completely.
Finish with hands in prayer, one Sat Nam.
Love to all,