Daily Kundalini Yoga with Mary – Week of April 20th
Sat Nam dear Yogis/Yoginis:
I am reading a book by a Buddhist monk born in Korea, Haemin Sunim, The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down.
Here is an excerpt which seems most fitting to our current lives.
“We know the world only through the window of our mind.
When our mind is noisy, the world is as well.
And when our mind is peaceful, the world is too.
Knowing our minds is just as important as trying to change the world.”
Mornings are my favorite time of the day and when I love to do yoga! The following is a routine I have been doing for years and it never fails to set me up for my day-especially now!
Challenge for the week ahead:
While waiting for your tea or coffee in the morning, do 10 slow standing Forward Bends and 10 Standing Cross Crawls.
Pranayam (to clear out blocks, to move from inertia to vitality)
Inner Sun Breath:
Sit in easy pose, spine is straight, focus at 3rd eye
Left hand at shoulder level (as if in salute) with left arm bent and facing forward, holding 4th finger or Sun finger down with thumb.
Right hand in fist with index finger extended. Close off right nostril with Index finger.
Begin powerful Breath of Fire (pumping belly on exhale, relaxing belly on inhale – breathing powerfully through the nose). Feel it at the navel point.
To end: Bring hands in front of throat (thymus gland) away from the body, interlace fingers with palms facing throat. Inhale and hold while trying to pull hands apart. Resist.
Exhale and release. Repeat 2 more times.
Warm ups: These are my favorite 4 (from April 6) which I love to do daily.
- Sufi grind (both directions)
- Spinal Flex
- Spinal Twist
- Neck rolls (both directions)
Morning Series: Try to work up to 2mins per posture- or do sequence for 1 min each and then repeat.
- Stretch Pose– On back, arms and legs straight. Raise feet and head 6” off ground, hold and begin Breath of Fire. (Modify as needed- can do one leg at a time). This will charge up your navel point!
- Tuck Pose- Nose to knees. Clasp arms around knees, lift head towards knees and hold with Breath of Fire. Upon completion, lower head, allow head to turn side to side gently on mat.
- Rock and Roll on Spine: Same position clasping arms around knees, rock back and forth on the spine from the tailbone to top of shoulders. Circulates energy throughout the body and energizes the brain.
- Ego Eradicator: Come to seated, raise arms to 60 degrees to sides, fingertips curl and thumbs straight up. Hold arms up and begin Breath of Fire.
To end: Inhale deeply, slowly raise arms until thumbs meet overhead. Spread fingers wide and lower them down through aura as you Exhale.
Allow fingertips to rest on the ground beside you, releasing any negativity into the earth.
Inhale through nose, Exhale cannon breath through mouth. 3x
Sit still and feel the energy circulating.
Close with Sat Nam.
Love to all from Mary