Daily Kundalini Yoga- Week of April 13
Sat Nam to all!
Studies show that the period of anticipation can significantly enhance the joy we find in an experience. Today, imagine a future joy (post co-vid) and fill yourself with exciting possibilities. Anticipation brings future joy into the present, ensuring we have things to look forward to.
Here’s Winnie the Pooh’s response when Christopher Robin asks him about his favorite things to do: “Well”, said Pooh,” what I like best –,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.
Love to all, Mary
Challenge for the week ahead: 30 secs to 1 minute of Stretch Pose every day to set the navel centre. (can do 1 leg at a time if both is too much). Powerful Breath of Fire.
Pranayam to start your practice: To balance your emotions and calm your heart!
Easy pose, straighten spine, press palms together at heart, thumbs against sternum.
Inhale through nose in 4 equal parts until lungs are full
Exhale through nose in 4 equal parts until lungs are empty.
Release and sit in stillness and enjoy the effects.
Warm up: Optional
- Sufi grind (seated lower spine rotations)
- Neck circles
To Strengthen Your Navel Centre and Digestive Organs (start 1 min each)
- Bicycle with Long Deep Breathing on Back. Legs up about 2 feet off ground and make a bicycling motion.
- Leg lifts– Single or double. Hands can be under buttocks to support lower back, or if you need you can keep your knees bent. Inhale legs up, Exhale legs down.
- Sphinx or Cobra variation – On stomach– lift up into Sphinx or Cobra- kick buttocks with alternate legs, leading with heels (feet flexed)
- Rock and Roll on the spine, knees pulled into chest. Come up to Standing.
- Standing Pendulum– arms down at sides, inhale and bend left, exhale bend right (arms stay loose at the sides of your body). Feel the stretch down both sides of the body.
- Standing Spinal Twist– one arm straight out to side, other arm touches heart each time you twist. Inhale one side, Exhale other.
- Standing Forward Bends- inhale and stretch up, exhale bend forward.
- Sit in Rock Pose (on heels) or stay in Easy Pose (crossed leg), or legs extended out in front, hands interlaced in lap. Inhale Sat, Exhale Nam. Long deep rhythmic breath.
- Sit with legs and arms straight out in front of body, palms facing down. Spine is straight. Breath of Fire.
Shavasana: Relax completely on back.
Close by reciting Long Time Sun, sending it out to all the front line workers who are helping to keep us safe!
May the long time sun shine upon you, All love surround you
And the pure light within, guide your way on